Culver almost didn’t have a railroad.
In 1883, the Vandalia Railroad company
planned to extend its trackage
to South Bend, by way of Walkerton.
The present route was adopted
because the citizens of Center Township
voted a $30,000 subsidy for the railroad
and because eight Plymouth men
who owned lake property in Culver
agreed to give the railroad
a right of way through their land.
Track was complete
to Plymouth in 1884,
so Culver must have seen
its first train about that time.