Durango was founded by the Denver & Rio Grande Railway in 1879.
The railroad arrived in Durango on August 5, 1881
and construction on the line to Silverton began in the fall of the same year.
By July of 1882, the tracks to Silverton were completed,
and the train began hauling both freight and passengers.
The line was constructed to haul silver & gold ore
from the San Juan Mountains,
but passengers soon realized it was the view that was truly precious.
This historic train has been in continuous operation for 130 years,
carrying passengers behind vintage steam locomotives
and rolling stock indigenous to the line.
Relive the sights and sounds of yesteryear
for a spectacular journey on board
the Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad.