This is a complete list.
I haven’t covered stations that just moved a short distance for some reason, with the old one closing on the same day the new one opened.
* Various closed surface stations on the (now ex-)GWR line that parallels the Central from North Acton to West Ruislip.
* Wood Lane (in a cutting, I think), replaced by White City in 1947.
* British Museum, replaced by Holborn in 1933 to provide interchange with the Piccadilly.
* North Weald, Blake Hall, and Ongar (surface). Now part of a preservation railway.
* Bull & Bush (also called North End), never opened because Hampstead Heath was reserved as green space and so there would be no housing and no commuters to use it.
* South Kentish Town, closed 1934 during a strike (over a proposed wage cut for tram staff) and never re-opened.
* City Road (between Angel and Moorgate), abandoned in 1923 when the tunnels were enlarged to allow the two branches of the Northern to be combined into one line.
* King William Street, original terminus of the line from Stockwell, replaced by Bank when the line was extended north to Moorgate in 1900.
* Brompton Road, closed 1934 when Knightsbridge was rebuilt with a new entrance closer to it. It always had little traffic because many trains didn’t stop there
(there was even a West End play called «Passing Brompton Road»).
* Down Street, closed 1932 when Hyde Park Corner and Green Park (then called Dover Street) were rebuilt with entrances closer to each other.
Another station where trains often didn’t stop.
* York Road (north of King’s Cross), closed 1932 because it saw little custom.
One reason for closing all three of these stations was to speed up the overall service by having less stops.
* Mark Lane/Tower Hill. The very first station in that area was called Tower of London and opened in September 1882.
In October 1884 Mark Lane was opened a short distance to the west and Tower of London closed a few days later (so for 6 days trains stopped at both).
Mark Lane was later renamed Tower Hill. In 1967 it was closed, replaced by the present station on the site of the original Tower of London station.
* St.Mary’s, closed 1938 as part of moving Aldgate East to a new site further east (to make the triangle of lines bigger and able to handle longer trains).
* South Acton (surface), on a branch from Acton Town and normally run as a shuttle service with no through trains (the connection faced west, not towards central London).
The branch was closed in 1959 but the station is still served by main-line trains.
* Hounslow Town (surface), on a triangular branch from Hounslow Central and from Osterley.
Opened in 1883 as one of the two termini of the Hounslow branch
(the Piccadilly only started running on this branch in 1933 and it was shared between the Piccadilly and District until 1964) but closed in 1886.
Re-opened in 1903 with trains dividing at Osterley, half going to Town and half to West.
In 1905 the third side of the triangle was opened and the direct route to West closed, so all trains had to reverse at Town on the way to/from West.
Finally closed in 1909 when the direct route was reinstated with the new Hounslow East station on it (about 400m away from Town).
* Lots of surface stations north of Amersham, with those as far as Aylesbury still served by main-line trains.
* Swiss Cottage, Marlborough Road, and Lord’s, all between Finchley Road and Baker Street.
Closed when the Bakerloo (now Jubilee) took over the Stanmore branch in November 1939, though Swiss Cottage survived until August 1940.
Metropolitan trains also continued to stop at the five surface stations between Finchley Road and Wembley Park until December 1940
and occasionally stopping at Willesden Green and Neasden very early, very late, or during engineering work.
Hammersmith & City
* Shepherd’s Bush (viaduct) about half way between the present Goldhawk Road and Shepherd’s Bush Market. Closed in 1941 when those two stations opened.
* White City (viaduct, about 200m west of the present Wood Lane). Opened in 1908 and closed again in 1914.
From 1920 to 1959 it was used to provide an occasional service to the exhibition grounds nearby.
There used to be a branch from Latimer Road to meet what is now the Overground line at the latter’s Shepherd’s Bush station.
This formed part of the Middle Circle, continuing via Kensington (Olympia) to Earl’s Court and then
along the south side of the Circle, though trains only ran from Moorgate to Mansion House.
There are two closed stations on this, another Shepherd’s Bush, just south of the present one, and Uxbridge Road just south of that (the three are all within 400m of each other).
The former closed in 1869, to be replaced by the latter, which closed (together with the branch) because of bomb damage in October 1940.
* There used to be a line from Kensington (Olympia) to Ravenscourt Park with an intermediate station at Hammersmith Grove Road; this opened in 1869 and closed in 1916.
A connection from Goldhawk Road to Hammersmith Grove Road (allowing Hammersmith & City trains to run from Aldgate to Richmond)
opened in 1870, closed the same year, re-opened in 1877, and finally closed in 1910.
That’s the lot.
Quoted by Graeme Wall.